What is arthroplasty?
Arthroplasty is the reconstruction or replacement of a joint in order to restore range of motion and relieve pain. Treasure Valley Hospital physicians commonly perform this type of surgery on knees, hips, shoulders and ankles.
Shoulder arthroplasty is a total replacement of the ends of the bones on either side of the shoulder joint. Or, the ends of the bones may simply be capped with a new plastic surface. Your doctor might recommend having this surgery if you have severe shoulder pain or stiffness which prevents you from engaging in everyday activities. The most common cause of shoulder pain and stiffness is arthritis.
If you are having shoulder replacement surgery, the procedure usually lasts from 2 to 3 hours. The anesthesia you receive may be general or local depending on your physician’s preference.
What Diagnosis are treated with Toal Shoulder Arthroplasty
Total Shoulder Arthroplasty refers to the surgical reconstruction or replacement of the shoulder joint, commonly prescribed for those with severe arthritis. The procedure is a last resort for those that haven’t responded well to other treatment options and have lost significant shoulder mobility.
Before we discuss what the surgery entails, let’s get a better understanding of shoulder arthritis. One of the biggest misconceptions about arthritis, in general, is that it only damages tendons and muscles. Arthritis, especially in the shoulder, causes joint pain, ligament damage and, lastly, reduces the shoulder's range of motion.
In most cases, prescription medications and over-the-counter medications like NSAIDs and acetaminophen can alleviate arthritis symptoms, but they are not always effective.
What happens during the Total Shoulder Arthroplasty Procedure?
During the surgery, your surgeon will be replacing the ball joint in your shoulder with a metal ball, which will be attached to the humerus bone. Then, to complete the procedure, your surgeon will resurface the arthritic socket with a smooth plastic layer. The new ball and socket fit together to allow movement at the shoulder.
What is the recovery time for shoulder arthroplasty surgery?
Patients who undergo shoulder arthroplasty surgery at Treasure Valley Hospital typically go home one or two days after their procedure. They are given pain medication, antibiotics, and begin their physical therapy while still in the hospital. Physical therapy will continue for several weeks, and it could take just as long to be able to resume light daily activities.
Why Choose Treasure Valley Hospital for this Surgery?
If you live in the Boise area and you're considering total shoulder arthroplasty, consider Treasure Valley Hospital for your procedure. Our physician-owned hospital specializes in an array of surgical procedures including Total Shoulder Arthroplasty.
How do I prepare for this type of surgery?
- Your doctor or pre-admission nurse may tell you to stop taking certain medications, vitamins and dietary supplements prior to your surgery.
- Do not eat anything after midnight the day before surgery.
- Shower or bathe the morning of your surgery according to directions given at your pre-admission appointment.
- Do not shave the surgical area prior to arriving at the hospital for your procedure.
- Wear comfortable, loose-fitting clothing and slip-on shoes. If you are having shoulder surgery, bring an extra-large old t-shirt that can be cut up the side, allowing your arm to pass through.
- Do not wear makeup, perfume/aftershave, lotion, or deodorant.
- Do not wear jewelry.
- Leave all valuables at home.
- If you wear contact lenses, bring an appropriate storage container for them and a pair of glasses to use pre- and post-surgery.
- Bring these supplies if they apply to you: insulin, rescue inhaler, CPAP, or dental device.
- Arrange ahead of time for a family member or friend to drive you home from the hospital after surgery.
How Much Is Your Surgery?
Treasure Valley Hospital is a Boise hospital designed to be efficent and provide high quality health care at the best possible price. We believe our patients deserve to know about how much their procedure will cost. This philosophy allows patients to plan for their health care costs. The TVH Cost Calculator is just another way of caring for patients even before their treatment.Cost Calculator